Opportunity Snapshot – Design & Construction Manager
The individual will be responsible for implementing Digital Realty Design & Engineering Guidelines/ Standards and will lead the design of multiple, concurrent projects. The incumbent will provide strategic and innovative thinking regarding the design and engineering of our datacenter development projects and manage challenging deliverables against aggressive project expectations (within budget and schedule objectives set for each project).
- Direct and oversee Professional Consultants (Architects, Engineers) and Equipment Suppliers.
- Apply DLR Design & Engineering Guidelines / Standards to all projects to assure that standards are up-to-date with industry best practices and meet Company’s business objectives (emphasis on value-engineering).
- Assist in the preparation and review of budgets and forecasts related to anticipated design and construction expenditures.
- For Build-to-Suit projects, act as the primary customer contact for the development of customized datacenter development projects. This will include leading the consultant team, preparing detailed development of work letters including program (scope), budget (emphasis on value-engineering) and schedule documents to support DLR leasing activities.
- Develop and maintain vendor relationships (Contractors, Architects, Engineers, Consultants, etc) to provide cost-effective services for DLR projects.
- Preparation of requests for proposals. Evaluation of proposals and recommendations to management regarding vendor selection.
- Communicate status of projects to both internal and external stakeholders on an ad-hoc and formal basis. Prepare monthly project reports regarding the budget, schedule and scope objectives of assigned projects.
- Bachelor's degree in a related discipline. Professional License (Architect or Engineer) desired.
- Demonstrated project management experience of technically complex projects (typically 10 years of experience). Ability to direct and manage internal and external resources.
- Able to understand and interpret design drawings, construction drawings, construction specifications, design and construction contracts, project schedules, and detailed budgets and estimate summaries.
- Excellent understanding of advanced electrical, mechanical, security/monitoring, and fire detection/suppression systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge of standard practices in the design and construction industry.
- General knowledge of design and construction terms and principles and contracts.
- Familiarity with basic building code requirements.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Flexibility; openness to new ideas and procedures.
- Computer literate in the use of MS Office software and AutoCAD.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Financial acumen to recommend, review and analyze budgets and estimates.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Able to work independently, when required; able to work collaboratively, when required.
- Able to work across functional groups and with all levels of employees.
Why Digital Realty
Make an impact -- You’ll enjoy the satisfaction that comes with knowing your efforts positively impact company growth and your professional career.
The “best of both worlds” -- you'll find that working for our company may be a little bit different. We are small enough, with only 800 employees across our global portfolio, that your hard work will be visible throughout the organization, yet our extensive offering of services and solutions and proven track record of growth; stability and industry-leading innovation give you the resources and tools you need to take your career to the next level.
Unique culture -- we are a collaborative, people-focused company dedicated to quality and continuous improvement. When you become a member of our team, you receive our commitment to your continued development and support.
Strong foundation -- our financial strength and stability provide our customers with the assurance that Digital Realty will be their partner for current data center needs and those in the future, and our investment credit ratings provide us access to paths for more capital. We view each of our customers as a long-term partner.
Green standard for sustainability -- we are committed to improving the performance and energy efficiency of our data centers through the creation, adoption and promotion of industry-leading best data center practices and experience. We are pioneers in thinking about green data centers and are also a Contributing Member of The Green Grid.
At Digital Realty the success of your business is our business.