Leads the mechanical subject matter discipline within the wider EMEA - Design, Engineering & Construction function and is fundamental to the quality, technical delivery evolution and operation of our standardised product offering to our customers, requiring innovation and driving force to ensure that DRT remains as market leader. This senior individual contributor level role actively contributes to: new project master plans; development of electrical/mechanical systems for use by the wider Design Delivery Group; design standardisation; and continuous improvement development and implementation; and finally both outage investigation/recovery as well as triage of proposed adds, moves and changes within the live environment of our existing fleet of DRT data centres to confirm the required level of DE&C involvement in ongoing upgrade works. A mechanical subject matter expert who is an enthusiastic and proactive individual displaying exceptional organisational and presentation skills who is confident interacting with senior level stakeholders both internal to the wider DRT organisation as well as Red Carpet Customer representatives.
An experienced subject matter expert (SME) design professional with an advanced technical background in mechanical systems with substantial operational expertise to ensure that the next iteration of DRT’s project delivery solutions is well considered and robust. Operating strategically under their own initiative, they will control all aspects of the mechanical subject matter development for inclusion in the wider project delivery design group. Requiring predominately mechanical discipline technical expertise as well as an understanding of commercial and delivery schedule awareness to support the ongoing acquisition master planning and delivery of new project developments as well as contributing to ongoing design standardisation, all with a view to continually improving our overall development delivery in a safe and commercially beneficial manner within recognised schedule constraints. The Design, Engineering & Construction Groups driver is to deliver a quality service and product that complies with our internal EMEA standards as well as our customer’s expectations all in line with DRT’s project goals and by working with our professional teams applying DRT’s systems, procedures and culture.
Master Planning, Technical Leadership, Design Standardisation & Continuous Improvement
• Lead EMEA-wide mechanical discipline inputs to acquisition & master planning works;
• Undertaking feasibility and viability studies with Acquisition, Investment and Portfolio teams – including review of existing building refurbishment/upgrade/refit opportunities;
• Alignment of exiting mechanical standards and component blocks to support DRT’s emerging standards;
• Provides oversight and assistance with writing and editing of mechanical specifications and equipment selection for building systems and devices;
• Assists with key plant & equipment standardised specification as well as Vendor selection;
• Provides strategic direction for ‘build-to-suit’ opportunities focused around Red Carpet Customers;
• Incorporation of strategic DRT operational excellence;
• Acts as mentor/discipline expert to group personnel, providing continuous evaluation, assistance and support through professional training and career development;
• Reviews all mechanical deliverables for technical content, quality and adherence to code/standardisation requirements;
• Collaborates with Programme/Design Development staff, Project Managers and Market Sector Leaders to improve or develop new engineering methods to improve efficiency, technique, quality, and dependability;
• Conduct mechanical development reviews to ensure projects adhere to specification and standards;
What you’ll need:
• A minimum of 10 years date centre design/delivery experience in an mechanical SME design environment;
• 7-10 years of progressive management experience;
• Either mechanical data centre design experience or experience of highly serviced building designs;
• An awareness of contractual responsibilities and internal/external interfaces;
• A thorough understanding of the relationship between CSA elements of the scheme and primary mech, elec and ICT elements and in particular the commissioning and IST of the same;
• Previous involvement in the delivery of multiple large (EUR200m+) developments.
About Digital Realty
Digital Realty brings companies and data together by delivering the full spectrum of data center, colocation and interconnection solutions. PlatformDIGITAL® , the company’s global data center platform, provides customers with a secure data meeting place and a proven Pervasive Datacenter Architecture (PDx® ) solution methodology for powering innovation and efficiently managing Data Gravity challenges. Digital Realty gives its customers access to the connected data communities that matter to them with a global data center footprint of 300+ facilities in 50+ metros across 28 countries on six continents. To learn more about Digital Realty, please visit digitalrealty.com or follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter
What we can offer you
Our rapidly evolving business sector offers the opportunity to be part of a courageous and passionate team who work together to understand and meet the changing needs of our global customers. Join us and you’ll be part of a supportive and inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. As part of our team, you’ll get to work with people from different business areas, challenge the way we do things and put your ideas into action. We’ll also give you plenty of development opportunities so you can build a rewarding and successful career with us. This is an exciting time to join our business so apply now and make your mark on our future.