Position Title: Principal Linux Engineer
Position Title: Linux System Engineer
Reporting into the Manager System Engineering, the system engineering team designs, implements, maintains and monitors the systems of Digital Realty around the globe, incl. cloud services. This to ensure the systems of Digital Realty are available, performing, compliant and secure.
The system engineering team also defines, implements and maintains the processes and tooling to do this in the most cost-efficient way.
· Understands the business requirements, in terms of availability, performance, customer requirements and security make sure the system architecture is designed and implemented accordingly.
· The system engineering team defines, implements and maintains, supports and monitors the systems enterprise-wide.
· Identifies, implements and maintains appropriate tooling to do this in the most cost-efficient way.
· Designs, implements and manages the system architecture and services enterprise-wide in order to meet the business requirements, incl. customer requirements.
· Ensures the systems and system management is designed in such a way that Digital Realty is sufficiently secured.
· Ensures the systems are available and sufficiently performing, in relation to agreed SLAs.
What you’ll do
Define and maintain the Digital Realty system architecture:
· Collects business requirements in terms of required performance and availability.
· Collects requirements in relation to applicable compliance frameworks as well IT security.
· Collects any customer specific requirements.
· Identifies the as-is architecture and defines a cost-efficient to-be architecture meeting the requirements.
· Defines a plan on how to transition from the as-is into the to-be.
Defines and maintains policies and procedures:
· Defines, maintains and deploys the system server and cloud architecture.
· Defines, maintains, test and deploys the procedures for system changes with minimal downtime.
· Defines and maintains, deploys and tests the procedures for backup and failover.
· Defines, maintains and deploys the procedures for life cycle management.
Implements and maintains the system(-changes):
· Supports IT-development projects with system- and/or cloud-service enablement.
· Supports build out projects with system- and/or cloud-service enablement.
· Executes life cycle management by timely upgrading and patching of system components.
· Manage restricted access to systems with appropriate identity management solutions and implementations.
Monitors the systems:
· Experience with Prometheus, Alertmanager, and Grafana.
· Monitors the available capacity and performance.
· Monitors systems security, incl. potential intrusion.
Ensures IT-compliance within the area of systems:
· Ensures architecture, installation, configuration, policies and procedures meet the IT-security targets, applicable compliance frameworks and specific customer requirements.
· Pro-actively conducts self-assessments and vulnerability scan to gain additional confidence that these targets are met.
· Provides support to audits and the manager ISC, by pro-actively collecting any required evidence and providing support within the audit-process.
Identifies, installs, maintains and deploys system management tooling:
· Identifies tooling contributing to the cost-efficient installation, configuration, maintenance and monitoring of the IT systems and cloud services of Digital Realty (AWS, Oracle Cloud, Azure).
· Implements, configures and deploys these tools enterprise-wide.
Provides system engineering support:
· Acts as the to-go person for system management, incl. cloud services, enterprise-wide.
· Contributes to business projects, infrastructure projects, audits, etc. to provide system management expertise.
· Ensures incidents are solved within SLA’s determined lead time.
· Provides out of office hours system management support where needed.
· Proactively monitors system security.
Manages the team (Lead System Engineer only):
· Acts as the technical owner of the systems, incl. cloud services.
· Provides thought leadership and best practice for the future direction in the area of systems and cloud services.
· Works together with other IT-leads to ensure an integrated and consistent approach and end-to-end.
· Manages the system engineering team and external suppliers, incl. cloud service providers.
What you’ll need
· 10 or more years of overall experience in IT operations, infrastructure teams or software engineering.
· 10 or more years managing multiple Linux distros (Redhat and Debian style).
· Experience in working in a multi-vendor environment.
· 5 or more years with more than one cloud computing provider: AWS, Oracle Cloud, Azure, etc.
· 2 or more years DevOps automation experience with Ansible.
· 2 or more years containerization and orchestration with Docker and/or Kubernetes.
· 2 or more years with version control systems.
· Strong scripting skills with bash and python.
· Database administration skills (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL)
· Detailed knowledge of best practices and IT operations for high availability.
· Detailed knowledge of storage technologies (SAN).
· Detailed knowledge of virtual machines (e.g. VMware).
· Detailed knowledge of SELinux policy management a plus.
· Detailed knowledge of Microsoft systems and system management a plus.
· Experience with ServiceNow or similar ticketing systems.
· Strong critical thinker with problem-solving aptitude.
· Communication skills.
· Independent in own work; take responsibility in projects, but also not afraid to ask for help when needed.
· Team player.
· Pro-active attitude with hands-on mentality.
· Strong discipline; organized and structured way of working.
· 3 or more years of work experience in international environment.
· Fluent in English, both written and orally.
· Will be participating in after hours on call duty on a rotation schedule basis.
· Occasional travel to other locations of Digital Realty.
A bit about us
Digital Realty supports the world's leading enterprises and service providers by delivering the full spectrum of data center, colocation and interconnection solutions. PlatformDIGITAL®, our global data center platform, gives customers a reliable foundation for scaling their digital business and efficiently managing data gravity challenges. The size and scale of our business puts us in a unique position to offer customers access to 300+ facilities in 50+ metros across 25+ countries and six continents.
A bit about our Digital team
Our IT team is at the heart of our business. We develop infrastructures, design and build networks, support servers and provide the first line of support by delivering rich connectivity for our customers. With new data centers coming online all the time, it’s a rapidly changing technical environment so our team is always ready to innovate and take the lead on projects. We constantly develop, deploy and support vital networks and data services that drive business performance and improve life for customers around the globe.
What we can offer you
Our rapidly evolving business sector offers the opportunity to be part of a courageous and passionate team who work together to understand and meet the changing needs of our global customers.
Join us and you’ll be part of a supportive and inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. As part of our team, you’ll get to work with people from different business areas, challenge the way we do things and put your ideas into action. We’ll also give you plenty of development opportunities so you can build a rewarding and successful career with us.
Our Compensation Philosophy
Digital Realty offers its employees a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions. Central to our compensation philosophy is rewarding our employees for achieving the values and objectives aligned to the company's overall goals and values.
This is an exciting time to join our business so apply now and make your mark on our future.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled. All applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or Company policy.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.