The Senior Data Center Manager is responsible for overseeing the execution of local data center operations at one or more high profile data center properties that provide comprehensive service offerings to many of the world’s biggest companies. Data center operations include, but are not limited to:
- Team leadership, training, and compliance.
- Engineering operations and core infrastructure maintenance.
- Data center construction management, commissioning, and start-up.
- Delivery of data center services including colocation, connectivity, raised floor services and deployment.
- Installation and management of all cable and network infrastructure supporting facility and customer connectivity.
- Incident management, including post-event root cause analysis and infrastructure repair.
The Senior Data Center Manager will actively support multiple company functions, such as property management, necessary for the successful operation of the building(s).
The Senior Data Center Manager will have experience in data center electrical, mechanical and network system operations and possess knowledge of large scale data centers, including state-of-the-art electrical distribution systems, static and rotary UPS, emergency standby generation, fire alarm/suppression and monitoring systems. In addition, the Senior Data Center Manager will participate in the scheduling, coordination and completion all significant planned and emergency maintenance events for the facility and ensure these activities are executed in a controlled and proven method to ensure the reliability of the critical loads supported by these systems.
The Senior Data Center Manager is ultimately responsible for identifying, evaluating and executing operational strategies to ensure Digital Realty’s data center operations achieve the highest level of availability.
What you’ll do
- Execute all aspects of data center operations including the operation, maintenance and repair of all mission critical equipment and systems supporting a 24x7 data center operation to achieve 100% uptime and 100% compliance with all customer SLAs.
- Oversees construction activity and installations, in coordination with internal and external construction resources, to ensure system design, installation and testing adhere to operational standards.
- Witness testing of all equipment during commissioning and validate sequence of operations and receipt of all operational documentation.
- Manages provisioning of data center services including colocation, connectivity, raised floor services, deployment and any additional services to be delivered to data center customers.
- Oversees all local customer installations, in coordination with Sales Engineering, Design & Construction, Colocation Operations and Customer Implementation Projects to coordinate customer move-ins and turn-ups, including deployments, power circuit installations and connectivity requirements.
- Oversees local installation, maintenance and repair of all network infrastructure supporting all Digital Realty and customer connectivity in coordination with internal IT and network personnel.
- Leads local engineering team to ensure adherence to standard operating procedures, sequence of operations and maintenance standards to guarantee execution of Digital Realty’s periodic maintenance program and maintenance calendar.
- Leads local remote hands team to ensure adherence to standard operating procedures, sequence of operations and standards to guarantee execution of Digital Realty’s remote hands services
- Develop, manage, and audit local standard operating procedures, sequence of operations and maintenance standards to be in compliance with Digital Realty’s standards and industry best practices.
- Compliance with change management processes including the review and approval of all Method of Procedures (MOPs) for maintenance and one-time/emergency repair events in coordination with onsite personnel, contractors and customers.
- Manage all maintenance and repair contracts to ensure compliance with maintenance standards, operational requirements, and inventory management requirements. Confirm all vendors are qualified and adhere to Digital Realty’s performance standards and scopes of work.
- Responsible for timely execution of data center services such as remote hands, customer installations and service requests.
- Coordinate with security personnel for the management of, security systems including the adherence to security policies and compliance programs
- Act as primary technical and operational contact for data center customers – both as the technical lead and local point of escalation during emergency events, audits, and day to day operations. Develop knowledge of customer’s core business and the business function of the customer’s local datacenter operation.
- Manage technical and operational incidents at the property, including the implementation of emergency response procedures, resource coordination, customer communication, root-cause analysis and post event remediation.
- Identify trends and analyze risks to articulate implications and impact to data center operations. Track operational metrics and other data to provide Senior Management oversight and control for both snapshot data and long-term trend analysis.
- Identify process-based improvements that generate operational and financial efficiencies including the development and presentation of the business case.
- Support Real Estate Manager with the management of expenses and assist all budgeting, forecasting and reporting requirements by providing capital and expense requirements and justifications.
- Support pre-sales process, including, but not limited to, conducting sales tours and reviewing lease proposals and lease agreements to confirm compliance with Digital Realty standards and local requirements.
- Support various accreditation initiatives, including, but not limited to, SSAE16, SOC2, ISO 27001, etc. as may be required by Digital Realty.
- Maintain compliance with local health & safety (i.e. OSHA) standards and national electrical and building codes.
What you’ll need
- 10 years related facility management experience in data center operations (or related electrical or mechanical engineering field) with minimum of 5 years’ experience managing or leading data center operations teams in a large-scale mission critical environment. Bachelor’s degree in electrical or mechanical engineering preferred.
- Strong leader and teammate with interpersonal, presentation and communication skills
- Solid and proven experience in the construction, commissioning, acceptance and operation of mission critical systems, including state-of-the-art electrical distribution systems, static and rotary UPS, emergency standby generation, fire alarm/suppression and monitoring systems
- Extensive knowledge of structured cabling systems, networking and connectivity standards, and hardware installation requirements.
- Proficient experience in colocation operations, including the installation and deployment of cage, rack and cable infrastructure, as well as, power circuit installation and power monitoring.
- Experience working with and deploying telecom and network providers, specifically in Meet Me Room and POP room environments
- Experience managing a change control environment
- Strong quantitative and qualitative reasoning skills, with demonstrated ability to determine event root causes, performance shortfalls and required corrective actions.
- Knowledge of industry data center standards, policies & methodologies
- Knowledge of performance management & critical awareness methods and implementation standards
- Strong organizational skills and detail oriented
- Experience managing own budget and analyzing expenses
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook and familiarity with Microsoft Project, Visio or AutoCad
- Familiarity with Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS), Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM), and power metering systems.
A bit about us
Digital Realty brings companies and data together by delivering the full spectrum of data center, colocation and interconnection solutions. PlatformDIGITAL®, the company’s global data center platform, provides customers with a secure data meeting place and a proven Pervasive Datacenter Architecture (PDx®) solution methodology for powering innovation and efficiently managing Data Gravity challenges. Digital Realty gives its customers access to the connected data communities that matter to them with a global data center footprint of 300+ facilities in 50+ metros across 28 countries on six continents.
To learn more about Digital Realty, please visit digitalrealty.com or follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
A bit about our Digital team
Our Operations team keeps our customers’ infrastructure running safely and securely. We get plenty of opportunities to take on a variety of tasks and develop our technical skills. From overseeing electrical power to cooling and fire suppression systems, our team plays a vital role in making sure everything in our data centers operates as it should.
What we can offer you
Our rapidly evolving business sector offers the opportunity to be part of a courageous and passionate team who work together to understand and meet the changing needs of our global customers.
Join us and you’ll be part of a supportive and inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. As part of our team, you’ll get to work with people from different business areas, challenge the way we do things and put your ideas into action. We’ll also give you plenty of development opportunities so you can build a rewarding and successful career with us.
Our Compensation Philosophy
Digital Realty offers its employees a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions. Central to our compensation philosophy is rewarding our employees for achieving the values and objectives aligned to the company's overall goals and values.
This is an exciting time to join our business so apply now and make your mark on our future.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled. All applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or Company policy.
Digital Realty cares about the health and safety of its workforce, customers, and vendors. Digital Realty encourages all new hires to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated by their start date. Employees who are not fully COVID-19 vaccinated may need to comply with our weekly COVID-19 testing requirements if required per your job requirement, work location and customer obligations, subject to applicable workplace accommodation requirements
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.