The Data Center Manager is responsible for overseeing the execution of local data center operations at one or more data center properties. Data center operations include, but are not limited to:
- Engineering operations and core infrastructure maintenance
- Data center construction management, commissioning and start-up
- Delivery of data center services including colocation, connectivity, raised floor services and deployment
- Installation and management of all cable and network infrastructure supporting facility and customer connectivity
- Technical event management including post-event root cause analysis and infrastructure repair
If the property’s Real Estate Manager is not located at the property, the Data Center Manager’s responsibilities may also include oversight of general facility operations, including, but not limited to, security, janitorial and other facility management functions.
The Data Center Manager will have experience in data center electrical, mechanical and network system operations and possess knowledge of large scale data centers, including state-of-the-art electrical distribution systems, static and rotary UPS, emergency standby generation, fire alarm/suppression and monitoring systems. In addition, the Data Center Manager shall participate in the scheduling, coordination and completion all significant planned and emergency maintenance events for the facility and ensure these activities are executed in a controlled and proven method to ensure the reliability of the critical loads supported by these systems.
The Data Center Manager is ultimately responsible for identifying, evaluating and executing operational strategies to ensure Digital Realty’s data center operations achieve the highest level of availability.
What you’ll do
- Execute all aspects of data center operations including the operation, maintenance and repair of all mission critical equipment and systems supporting a 24x7 data center operation to achieve 100% uptime and 100% compliance with all customer SLAs.
- Supervises all construction activity and installations, in coordination with internal and external construction resources, to ensure system design, installation and testing adhere to operational standards.
- Witness testing of all equipment during commissioning and validate sequence of operations and receipt of all operational documentation.
- Manages provisioning of data center services including colocation, connectivity, raised floor services, deployment and any additional services to be delivered to data center customers.
- Manages all local customer installations, in coordination with Sales Engineering, Design & Construction and Colocation Operations to coordinate customer move-ins and turn-ups, including deployments, power circuit installations and connectivity requirements.
- Oversees local installation, maintenance and repair of all network infrastructure supporting all Digital Realty and customer connectivity in coordination with internal IT and network personnel.
- Supervise local engineering team to ensure adherence to standard operating procedures, sequence of operations and maintenance standards to guarantee execution of Digital Realty’s periodic maintenance program and maintenance calendar.
- Develop, implement and audit local standard operating procedures, sequence of operations and maintenance standards to be in compliance with Digital Realty’s standards and industry best practices.
- Supervise local change management processes including the review and approval of all Method of Procedures (MOPs) for maintenance and one-time/emergency repair events in coordination with onsite personnel, contractors and customers.
- Manage all maintenance and repair contracts to ensure compliance with maintenance standards and operational requirements. Confirm all vendors are qualified and adhere to Digital Realty’s performance standards and scopes of work.
- Responsible for timely execution of data center services such as remote hands, customer installations and service requests.
- Supervise security personnel and manage security systems including the adherence to security policies and compliance programs (as required by the Real Estate Manager)
- Act as primary technical and operational contact for data center customers – both as the technical lead and local point of escalation during emergency events and day to day operations. Develop knowledge of customer’s core business and the business function of the customer’s local datacenter operation.
- Manage technical and operational incidents at the property, including the implementation of emergency response procedures, resource coordination, customer communication, root-cause analysis and post event remediation.
- Identify trends and analyze risks to articulate implications and impact to data center operations. Track operational metrics and other data to provide Senior Management oversight and control for both snapshot data and long-term trend analysis.
- Identify process based improvements that generate operational and financial efficiencies including the development and presentation of the business case.
- Support Real Estate Manager with the management of expenses and assist all budgeting, forecasting and reporting requirements by providing capital and expense requirements and justifications.
- Support pre-sales process, including, but not limited to, conducting sales tours and reviewing lease proposals and lease agreements to confirm compliance with Digital Realty standards and local requirements.
- Support various accreditation initiatives, including, but not limited to, SSAE16, SOC2, ISO 27001, etc. as may be required by Digital Realty.
- Maintain compliance with local health & safety (i.e. OSHA) standards and national electrical and building codes.
What you’ll need
- 10 years related facility management experience in data center operations (or related electrical or mechanical engineering field) with minimum of 5 years’ experience managing or leading data center operations teams in a large scale mission critical environment. Bachelor’s degree in electrical or mechanical engineering preferred.
- Solid and proven experience in the construction, commissioning, acceptance and operation of mission critical systems, including state-of-the-art electrical distribution systems, static and rotary UPS, emergency standby generation, fire alarm/suppression and monitoring systems
- Extensive knowledge of structured cabling systems, networking and connectivity standards, and hardware installation requirements.
- Proficient experience in colocation operations, including the installation and deployment of cage, rack and cable infrastructure, as well as, power circuit installation and power monitoring.
- Experience working with and deploying telecom and network providers, specifically in Meet Me Room and POP room environments
- Experience managing a change control environment
- Strong quantitative and qualitative reasoning skills, with demonstrated ability to determine event root causes, performance shortfalls and required corrective actions.
- Knowledge of industry data center standards, policies & methodologies
- Knowledge of performance management & critical awareness methods and implementation standards
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and detail oriented
- Experience managing own budget and analysing expenses
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook and familiarity with Microsoft Project, Visio or AutoCad
- Familiarity with Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS), Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM), and power metering system
A bit about us
Digital Realty supports the world's leading enterprises and service providers by delivering the full spectrum of data center, colocation and interconnection solutions. PlatformDIGITAL®, our global data center platform, gives customers a reliable foundation for scaling their digital business and efficiently managing data gravity challenges. The size and scale of our business puts us in a unique position to offer customers access to 290 facilities in 49 metros across 24 countries and six continents.
A bit about our Digital team
Our Operations team keeps our customers’ infrastructure running safely and securely. We get plenty of opportunities to take on a variety of tasks and develop our technical skills. From overseeing electrical power to cooling and fire suppression systems, our team plays a vital role in making sure everything in our data centers operates as it should.
What we can offer you
Our rapidly evolving business sector offers the opportunity to be part of a courageous and passionate team who work together to understand and meet the changing needs of our global customers.
Join us and you’ll be part of a supportive and inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. As part of our team, you’ll get to work with people from different business areas, challenge the way we do things and put your ideas into action. We’ll also give you plenty of development opportunities so you can build a rewarding and successful career with us.
This is an exciting time to join our business so apply now and make your mark on our future.
Our Compensation Philosophy
Digital Realty offers its employees a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions. Central to our compensation philosophy is rewarding our employees for achieving the values and objectives aligned to the company's overall goals and values.
Our published pay ranges reflect the minimum and maximum target for new hire pay for the full-time position determined by role, level, and geographical location. Individual pay is based on additional factors including but not limited to job-related skills, experience, and relevant education and/or training. Moreover, an employee’s total compensation package varies by role and may include salary, cash bonus or commissions, and equity awards not quantified below.
Compensation range: $122,300 to $185,220 annually. This compensation range represents the Company’s good faith belief as to what it will pay as a base salary/hourly rate for this position at the time of this posting.
Benefits: For this role, Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, 401k match, disability benefits, wellness and education benefits, paid time off, holidays, and more.
This is an exciting time to join our business so apply now and make your mark on our future.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled. All applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or Company policy.
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.