Position Title: Senior Director, Commercial Legal APAC
This position, based in Singapore, reporting into the SVP Legal Commercial & Real Estate/Ops and dotted to Managing Director APAC. This is an opportunity to join our legal team as a Senior commercial attorney supporting the Digital Realty APAC business with primarily focus on commercial matters. You are part of the APAC Leadership team. You will work closely together with members of our sales and portfolio management teams. The successful candidate will be diligent, self-motivated, and proactive, able to handle and prioritize time-sensitive projects in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, and have demonstrated excellent legal skills, business judgment, strategic thinking, and the ability to work independently and in team settings.
You will be primarily responsible for assisting and overseeing businesses and their compliance with the commercial (primary) and corporate (secondary) processes. You should be able to help businesses in reviewing, drafting, and negotiating contracts.
As a Commercial Senior Legal attorney, you should be able to offer clients with sound advice on primarily colocation agreements and leases with our top-10 global customers and secondarily real estate, procurement, corporate and M&A matters like business mergers and acquisitions. You should also be able to examine the company documents, employee agreements and look for any loopholes in the same. Moreover, you should be able to help clients with any issues related to business transactions.
What you’ll do
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of contracts with suppliers, vendors, and consultants.
- Advising and providing legal support to corporate business units, including accounting, corporate finance, HR, marketing/sales, risk management and tax groups.
- Providing advice and guidance to internal clients with respect to drafting, negotiation and interpretation.
- Providing ongoing support for and engagement with joint ventures.
- Prepare, review, and negotiate agreements for the Company’s APAC properties, including:
- Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating complex and sometimes multi-tiered and multi-jurisdictional customer agreements, including leases, licenses and service agreements, and associated transactional documents, from DLR standard templates and third-party forms.
- Supporting contract reviews and audit and maintenance of customer agreement database as needed.
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating complex and sometimes multi-tiered and multi-jurisdictional inbound/supply chain contracts and associated transactional documents, from DLR standard templates and third-party forms, including vendor, connectivity, construction.
- Providing legal support to the design and construction, products and technology groups.
- Providing legal support to portfolio management and property operations teams, including day-to-day matters (tenant inquiries and audits) and more significant projects
- Compliance and Regulatory Issues: You will need to keep up-to-date with changes in laws and regulations that impact the data center industry and ensure that the company is in compliance with all relevant laws and regulations. This may involve working with external legal advisors, government agencies, and other stakeholders to ensure that the company is meeting its legal obligations.
- Risk Management: You will need to identify and manage legal risks associated with the company's operations in the APAC region. This may involve developing risk management strategies, reviewing, and updating existing policies and procedures, and providing guidance to business units on legal and compliance issues.
- Intellectual Property: You will need to manage and protect the company's intellectual property assets in the APAC region. This may involve reviewing and managing patent and trademark applications, managing disputes related to intellectual property, and providing guidance to the business on the protection of intellectual property assets.
- M&A and Corporate Transactions: You will be responsible for advising on legal aspects of mergers and acquisitions and other corporate transactions in the APAC region. This may involve reviewing and negotiating transaction documents, coordinating with external counsel, and providing strategic legal advice to the company's senior management team.
- Team Management: You will eventually be responsible for managing a small team of lawyers and legal professionals in the APAC region. This may involve hiring and training new team members, delegating responsibilities, and providing guidance and support to team members on legal and compliance issues.
- Provide support to the acquisitions and investments teams on potential transactions.
- Manage outside counsel effectively and efficiently.
- Work closely with senior stakeholders in the Company, including other cross-functional members of the APAC leadership team and global business and legal leadership.
- Support the continuous improvement of standard forms and the development and improvement of policies and procedures for the Legal Department.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the company's legal strategy and identify and mitigate risk in the commercial environment.
- Work closely with the business to develop, implement, and maintain contracts that achieve business goals.
- Execute assigned projects, including the development and implementation of processes, as determined by the needs of the global Legal Department.
What you’ll need
- BS/BA required; master’s or other relevant graduate degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years of wide-ranging experience across multiple facets of Governance, Quality, Audit, Process Improvement and Compliance with 5 years in program management office leadership roles.
- Experience of at least 5 years in the Data Center industry is a requirement.
- Experience in IT Services, Telecommunications, or financial industry sectors strongly preferred.
- Solid analytical, problem-solving, and critical-thinking skills.
- Comfortable with a “hands-on” approach and balancing multiple, competing priorities and changes in scope / direction, all with a high sense of urgency.
- Self-starter, with the ability to follow through on matters and bring them to resolution in a timely and reasonable manner.
- Well-developed skills in leadership, influence management, communication, and training. Ability to think and act strategically and tactically.
A bit about us
Digital Realty supports the world's leading enterprises and service providers by delivering the full spectrum of data center, colocation and interconnection solutions. PlatformDIGITAL®, our global data center platform, gives customers a reliable foundation for scaling their digital business and efficiently managing data gravity challenges. The size and scale of our business puts us in a unique position to offer customers access to 290 facilities in 50 metros across 26 countries and six continents.
A bit about our Digital Team
Our Legal team works in a highly complex global business sector with a diverse range of local, regional and international organizations. From ensuring compliance in different jurisdictions to supporting business teams with customer and supplier contracts, we’re involved in a variety of projects. Working in a dynamic commercial environment, we collaborate with colleagues across different departments and always have a new challenge waiting for us.
What we can offer you
Our rapidly evolving business sector offers the opportunity to be part of a courageous and passionate team who work together to understand and meet the changing needs of our global customers.
Join us and you’ll be part of a supportive and inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. As part of our team, you’ll get to work with people from different business areas, challenge the way we do things and put your ideas into action. We’ll also give you plenty of development opportunities so you can build a rewarding and successful career with us.
This is an exciting time to join our business so apply now and make your mark on our future.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled. All applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or Company policy.